The reopening of High Bridge provides a quarter-mile of new space to play, exercise and enjoy the outdoors, after being closed for more than 40 years. In the summer of 2015, the bridge was rehabilitated and reopened for pedestrians and bicyclists thanks to $48 million in funding from former Mayor Bloomberg’s PlaNYC initiative. Additional funding from Congressman José E. Serrano at the early kickoff stage was also critical to moving the project forward. The reopened High Bridge is an essential link in New York City’s expanding waterfront greenway.
Lighting of the bridge enhances the two different structural segments of the bridge created by the demolition of the stone bridge river spans originally erected in 1864 and creation of a single steel span in 1924 to permit larger ships the transit the waterway. Uplighting of the stone arches is intentionally soft and warm while the steel span was given cool sparkle with the use of decorative ‘button’ lights. The color of the pole lighting on the walkway was designed to match the ‘button’ lights to extend the sparkle across the entire bridge span like a glistening diamond necklace. Fitting of a structure that has stood through three different centuries, the lighting consisted entirely of LED sources from this century.